Attackers in San Bernardino mass shooting were heavily armed, police chief says

Tuesday, December 8, 2015
1

By Rory Appleton

The Fresno Bee

(TNS)

Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said the two suspects killed following a mass shooting that has claimed 14 lives were armed with more than 1,500 rounds of ammunition and that a search of their home nearby revealed thousands more rounds of ammo.

In a news conference Thursday morning, Burguan said Syed Farook and his wife or fiance, both killed in a shootout following their attack at a county building, had 1,400 rounds of .223-caliber rifle magazines in vests they wore or in the Ford Expedition in which they were riding. They also had 200 9mm rounds for handguns they possessed.

Burguan said the woman suspect fired at officers from the back of the Ford; 76 rounds were fired at officers. Officers fired 180 rounds at the couple.

At the house in Redlands, investigators found 12 pipe-bomb-like devices, as well as 2,000 9mm rounds, 2,500 .223 rounds, and several hundred long-rifle rounds, Burguan said.

Burguan said the death toll from the shooting earlier in the day at a holiday banquet at San Bernardino County’s Inland Development Center stood at 14. The number of those injured rose from 17 to 21. Of the injured, one officer was shot in the leg and another had cuts from glass or shrapnel.

The attackers fired as many as 75 rifle rounds at the scene and left behind three rigged-together pipe bombs with

a remote-control device that apparently malfunctioned.

The chief said Farook did not have a criminal record. Burguan added authorities do not believe other threats remain to residents in the region.

David Bowdich, the FBI’s assistant director in Los Angeles, said investigators don’t yet know a motive for the shooting at the regional center, which aids people with developmental disabilities.

“There obliviously was a mission here,” Bowdich said. “We don’t know if this was an intended target or what triggered him to do this.”

Bowdich said Farook, a U.S. citizen, returned to America with his wife or fiance in July 2014.

Meanwhile, presidential candidates continued to react to the mass shooting.

Speaking at the Republican Jewish Coalition, Marco Rubio said: “We don’t know all the facts yet, but we have certainly learned some facts that are concerning.”

Donald Trump told the same audience that the shooting “probably was related, it always happens … when I heard about it I figured probably not, but it turns out it probably was related (to) radical Islamic terrorism.”

Trump also bashed President Obama for refusing to use the term. “There’s something going on with him we don’t know about,” Trump said.

On the floor of the U.S. Senate, candidate Ted Cruz said the attack was probably related to Islamic terrorism, though he added not all the facts were known.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s